Monday, February 15, 2016

Weekend in Kilkenny (not for a grade)


I learned three things from my weekend in Kilkenny:


1. Hostels  aren’t as sketchy as they seem, well kind of.
Staying in a hostel was a new experience for me. I was nervous about having to sleep in a room with other people who I have never met and who were from an entirely different side of the world than I am, but traveling with good friends that I trust helped put some of my worries at ease.  Also, never leaving sight my belongings and cuddling with my book bag as I slept assured I had nothing stolen.


2. How to get your group back together and to your hostel on time when a member of your group gets on the wrong train and ends up a town down the line in the opposite direction you need to be going.

Not to name names.. (Zayne)


3. Hiking a 5K trail that ends at the ruin of a 13th century mill at 7am is a great way to start a day.

We got a tip from one of the locals that there was a beautiful trail that goes through the woods following the river and decided it would be a great way to spend our last morning in Kilkenny.  We were shocked when at the end of the trail we found some 13th century ruins.  The roofs of the building had long ago collapsed allowing trees to over take the insides.  One of them even had part of the river flowing through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment